Wednesday, December 31, 2014

An Asshole Story!



It shouldn't have to be said, but we all need to take some time to remind ourselves to not be an asshole.

It's easy to be an asshole. Say what's on your mind all the time, no filters, do whatever you want and not care about the thoughts or feelings of others. Being an asshole is liberating and there are times in life where it should be the perfect option for what's on deck. Yet, some of us are too comfortable living in this world and we find ourselves punching the asshole card way too often.

Today I am picking up my niece for a week of fun in Texas. I fly up to Chicago, pick her up and fly back with her to Texas all in one day. This morning I only got two hours sleep prior to having to be at the airport at 5:30am. For some reason my brain wouldn't switch off and I couldn't fall asleep. We've all been there. The famous last words of "I'll get some sleep on the plane" seemed to bring me some false comfort.

As I was waiting for my section to get called up; a man dragging all of his stuff behind him on his roller bag yelled "watch your toes" while zooming passed me. I'd been sitting there for 10 min. I got to the airport early, like a smart traveler, but this guy didn't say "excuse me" or "I'm sorry", but instead shouted "watch your toes". Hearing this, after only two hours sleep, made me think that this guy doesn't know how big of an asshole he is.  Put it on me to watch out for him?  I need to watch MY toes?  What about YOUR bag? Or YOUR choice of words?  Glad I got to the airport when I was supposed to so my toes could meet up with the wheels on your roller bag!

Once we boarded, I realized I was seated across the aisle from this guy. Adding to his already obvious asshole behavior, he proceeded to remove his shoes as he sat down!  Want more?  Ok, it's now 6:30am and as everyone sat down, fluffed their pillows and got ready to do what I was about to do-sleep. What did this asshole do?  Something that no other person wanted to do on this plane-he opened the shade to let the sunlight in.  Oblivious to the world around him, a plane full of sleepy passengers, 6:30am and this guy wants to absorb some vitamin D.

Kiss. My. Ass.

Perhaps he has been an asshole his entire life and has no idea how to deviate from this behavior?  Like Steve Martin in the Jerk or Jim Carey in pretty much every movie, he goes from moment to moment constantly doing the most inappropriate thing,  Just oblivious to the real world while continuing to disregard any feelings or concerns of others. Yes, his ignorance must be liberating, but I can't imagine he lives a happy life filled with tolerant people that embrace his inability to read a room.

The #Tryharder lesson in all of this?  (Besides the fact that I should have tried harder to sleep the night before?) Be aware that you may be the asshole in the room. Take inventory on the situations you find yourself in and apply some energy towards being emotionally intelligent to the immediate world around you.

I would never suggest that you conform to the world, but certainly be aware that your asshole behavior might not be tolerated by others and the guy that got his toes rolled over might soon have his foot buried in your ass.

Pull your head out of your ass before a foot joins it. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home